"How to Win Over Client Hearts"
Chaney Coetzee, Client service director at Reprise Digital South Africa
Yes, we at Reprise Digital have world class tools and capabilities that help us achieve ultimate results, but that’s only 50% of the job. The other 50% comes in the form of client service which is very often where the “magic” happens. Mastering both these skill sets will not only ensure a great client partnership but will also drive client growth.
You don’t always need the gift of the gab to deliver great client service; very often it’s the small things that make a big difference. Below are some tips to guide you in the right direction:
- Talk less and listen more – “Listen with the intent to understand, not with the intention to reply”. Being able to listen to your clients and accurately interpret their needs is an essential skill for achieving client success. To successfully interact with clients, you need to listen and understand their needs and not assume that you know what those are.
- Be confident– If you believe in yourself, the enthusiasm will be contagious! Confidence will ensure that clients will believe in you as much as you believe in yourself.
- Prepare for meetings– Understand the purpose of the meeting, know exactly why you are there and what you can offer. It is important to have your ducks in a row and be aware of what’s expected of you. Research the client or meeting topic ahead of time to make sure you’re well prepared.
- Continuously communicate– Check in regularly with the client and keep them up to date about campaign performance. Let them know what’s being done to optimize the campaign, what’s working and what’s not. Regularly make recommendations to the client to increase performance.
- Get personal– Get to know your client on a business and personal level. The more you know about them, the more there is to talk about, and you never know, you might end up becoming friends!
- Pay attention to detail– When sending along weekly performance reports, make sure that you pay close attention to detail, show your client that you are putting in the effort. Basic errors very often send a message to clients that you are not as invested in their business as they are. F7 is your friend, get to know them!
- Be proactive– Embedding yourself in a client’s business will not only deliver better results, but also enable you to come up with proactive ideas to help them achieve their business objectives. Share ideas regularly, you never know which one might change the world 😉
- Be genuine– Everyone makes mistakes every now and again, fess up, apologize and keep driving business results!
Becoming great at client service doesn’t happen overnight but as anything, practice makes perfect. You only ever grow outside of your comfort zone.